Carpet sea squirt
An ID sheet can be downloaded – Didemnid Sea Squirts
- Smother commercial mussel lines;
- Alter marine ecosystem functioning and threaten fishing and aquaculture;
- Impact fish nursery grounds;
- Overgrow and smoother natural shellfish sites;
- Harm natural reefs (important biodiversity sites and fish feeding grounds).
- Report all sightings – in Ireland to www.biodiversityireland.ie and if located in Northern Ireland – www2.habitas.org.uk/records/ISI
- Follow the Check, Clean Dry Guidelines to help prevent spread.
- Take care not to break off pieces underwater or spread it around this will encourage new colonies to grow.
Invasive Species Ireland produced a D.vex Management Plan
Carpet sea squirt in the news:
Note: The original poster is withdrawn from circulation. Updated poster, which will conform to current format for our alerts, will be made available as soon as possible.