The EU Regulation (1143/2014) on invasive alien (non-native) species first 37 species listed;
- On 14 July 2016 the European Commission published Commission Implementing Regulation 2016/1141 which sets out an initial list of 37 species to which EU Invasive Alien Species Regulation 1143/2014 will apply.
- The associated restrictions and obligations will came into force on 3rd August 2016.
- All of these species have been accepted as meeting agreed criteria concerning their invasiveness and ability to establish in several Member States.
- The aim of this new regime is to prevent or manage the introduction, or spread, of invasive non-native species across the European Union.
- In order to achieve this aim the EU Regulation requires Member States to put in place surveillance and rapid response mechanisms and to develop management action plans for Widely Spread Species (WSS).
- Listing imposes restrictions on the commercial keeping, sale, and transporting of the listed plants and animals, and their intentional breeding or release.
- A permit scheme will be in operation to allow derogations from some of these restrictions (other than their release) but only in very limited circumstances.
NB: To address this legislation in Northern Ireland, The Invasive Alien Species (Enforcement and Permitting) Order (Northern Ireland) 2019 Came Into Force on the 1st December 2019.
In England and Wales, The Invasive Alien Species (Enforcement and Permitting) Order 2019 also Came Into Force on the same day.
This summary is useful to easily interpret the legislation.
The first 37 Species of Union Concern Listed are;
- The GB Non Native Species Secretariat (GBNNSS) have prepared some FAQs This list is currently being updated
- Ireland has also produced their own FAQs
- The Northern Ireland Explanatory Memorandum to the above legislation is provided for further guidance
- European and Mediterranean Plant Protection Organization (EPPO)
- North Europe and Baltic Network on Invasive Alien Species (NOBANIS)
- An ID Guide produced by the EU to assist customs to identify some of the listed species
Download this Species of Union Concern (showing some of the plants listed) Poster/Leaflet here…
Download this Species of Union Concern (showing some of the animals listed) Poster/Leaflet here…
- Download a Pdf file the current full list of Species of Union Concern here